Re: pid gets overwritten in OSX - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francois Suter
Subject Re: pid gets overwritten in OSX
Date
Re: pid gets overwritten in OSX  (tony <tony@animaproductions.com>)
List pgsql-general
>The real problem is that the old postmaster was evidently not allowed
>to shut down cleanly (else it'd have removed its lockfile).  How are
>you powering down the system, anyway?

I'm shutting down normally (ok, I mean most of the time I press the
power-up button and choose "Shut down" rather than going via the
Apple menu). I haven't had a system crash in ages! The only
difference I can see (and I would have to test if it makes any
difference) is that sometimes I'm working stand-alone at home and
sometimes on the network in my office (I'm using a PowerBook G4), but
I'm pretty sure I don't have this problem popping up everytime I go
back to the office after having used my machine at home.

Maybe there's some operation missing at shutdown. I installed
PostgreSQL using Mark Liyanage's package. Could there be something
missing? Is Postgres taking care of the removal of the postmaster.pid
file or do you have to do it yourself in some shutdown script?

Best regards.

--------
François

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/